North Mainland learning centre
The Learning Centre opened in April 2004 and is located in the North Mainland Community Work Office in Brae. The location was chosen as it was central to the North Mainland area population base and was part of the process whereby 5 college learning centres were established throughout Shetland to ensure that learning opportunities are accessible to as many people as possible.
Aims and objectives
- To increase the accessibility of learning to all areas in the North Mainland
- To increase the number of learners from areas that has been traditionally harder to reach
- To promote the use of Information Technology
- To increase the opportunities for learners to improve their core skill areas of literacy, numeracy and computing
- To encourage learners to progress onto Further and Higher Education utilising open and distance learning if possible
- To assist the community in developing a sustainable future
- 8 laptop computers
- Mobile classroom
- Video Conferencing
- 2 Digital cameras
- Colour printer
- Fax machine
- Classroom for 8 persons
- Wireless broadband internet connection
- LCD Projector
- Public access PC
- Community Library
A variety of computing classes are available at North Roe, Nesting and Urafirth Schools.
The Learning Centre in Brae has wheelchair access with the facility to accommodate students with mobility issues downstairs. The library and public access PC are situated downstairs as well.
The Community House at Mossbank provides wheelchair access to 6 PCs and 2 laptops for computer training. There is also a classroom for the Communication and Numeracy classes as well as other types of training including British Sign Language and Health and Safety courses. ECDL tests are now available at 3 locations i.e. Mossbank, Nesting and Brae. Students attending courses can receive financial support with childcare arrangements and travel. Laptops are available for loaning to students undertaking open / distance learning.
The opening times of the North Mainland Community House
Monday - Friday 9.30am - 12.30pm (for general enquires)
Class times for North Mainland Community House
Monday 9.30am - 8.30pm
Wednesday 6.00pm - 8.00pm
Thursday 10.00am - 5.00pm
North Mainland Community Work Office
t: 01806 522126
m: 07771 856942
Also provision in Firth and Mossbank Community House, Urafirth and North Roe