Islesburgh learning centre
Learning provision has been provided in Lerwick since 2007, and is currently located in Islesburgh Community Centre. There are 6 college learning centres established throughout Shetland to ensure that flexible learning opportunities and support are accessible to as many people as possible.
The courses delivered include introductory courses, which serve as a natural starting point for students to progress onto higher level qualifications. Areas covered include iPads/Tablets; Computing; Essential Skills; ECDL; Sage; Accounting; Business; Digital Media and General Interest
For information about courses available see the
Aims and objectives
- To increase the accessibility of learning to all areas in Central Mainland
- To increase the number of learners from areas that has been traditionally harder to reach
- To promote the use of Information Technology and improve digital inclusion.
- To increase the opportunities for learners to improve their core skills areas of literacy, numeracy and computing
- To encourage and support learners to progress onto further and higher education qualifications
- To improve employability opportunities, including job seeking skills and qualifications / skills required to change career
- To enable learners to access and be supported with open and distance learning opportunities
- To assist the community in developing a sustainable future
The learning centre has laptops for student use, an internet broadband connection and printer/photocopier/scanner facilities available.
Some learning centre and college courses are eligible for ITA (Individual Training Account) funding. You can use this ITA funding to meet £200 of the cost of one individual course per year. To find out if the course you are interested in is eligible please search for the specific course.
Progression routes for students have been integral to learning centre programmes for a number of years, offering opportunities for students to progress, in accordance with their own personal circumstances and learning / employment needs. They also enable you to gain entry qualifications for FE and HE level courses, including degree programmes.
Examples of progression opportunities include:
- You can progress from Getting started with iPad / Tablet courses onto more advanced iPad / Tablet courses
- You can take a variety of courses at the same level such as Editing Digital Photos; Letters, Leaflets Labels; and Camera, Computer, Printer
- Students attending Computing for Beginners classes can progress onto the ICT SCQF level 4/5 class, then the ECDL qualification and then the PDA IT in Business group award.
- From completing the Getting Started with Sage course you can progress onto the HN unit, “Using Financial Accounting Software” and then onto the PDA Financial Accounting group award.
- You can start with PDA units and then progress to a relevant HNC
- Opportunities exist for students who have gained communication and numeracy core skills to progress onto Further and Higher education, including degree courses e.g. Nursing degree.
Location and contact
Islesburgh Community Centre
King Harald Street
t: 01595 771402