If you are looking to carve out a career in the creative industries, then where better to study? Shetland's creative island community and environment will inspire you as you study under the tuition of practising artists, designers and musicians.
Why study Creative Industries at Shetland College UHI?
- We offer courses in textiles, art and design, fine art, music and film
- Modern, well-equipped studios and specialist workshops
- Individual tuition within small groups
- Tuition by practising artists, designers and musicians
- Excellent library facilities with up-to-date art, textile and music theory stock
- Live briefs to work with industry and design professionals
- Opportunity to develop numeracy, IT and literacy skills
- Use of industry standard creative software
- Be part of a creative island community
- Teaching is supplemented by visits from design and creative professionals
- We keep up-to-date with the latest industry trends by encouraging live projects and participation in professional exhibitions and gallery projects.
- We also organise fact-finding trips to other cities and countries of culture for inspiration
Our music courses have been developed in partnership with Shetland Arts and are delivered in Mareel, the islands' creative industries centre. Music students have access to world class facilities and custom-built teaching spaces.
School pupils are given the opportunity to spend some of their time studying at the college on one of our Skills for Work or Vocational Pathways courses. They have a choice of:
- Contemporary Art Skills Vocational Pathways
- Sound Engineering Vocational Pathways
- Video Production Vocational Pathways
Shetland College offers a wide variety of courses for students coming into the Creative Industry.
- NC Art and Design Portfolio Course
- NC Creative Industries: Film
- NC Creative Industries: Music
- HNC Music
- BA (Hons) Applied Music
- BA (Hons) Contemporary Film Making in the Highlands and Islands
- BA (Hons) Contemporary Textiles
- BA (Hons) Creative Writing in the Highlands and Islands
- BA (Hons) Fine Art
- BA (Hons) Literature and Creative Writing
- MA Art and Social Practice
- MA Creativity, Leadership and Enterprise
- MA Music and the Environment
t: 01595 771278
- Modern and well-equipped studios
- A selection of Shima knitting machines, weave, print and ceramics facilities
- Apple Mac design suite
- Video conferencing suites
- Individual studio or creative desk space
- Recording studio, multimedia production facilities, rehearsal spaces and performance auditorium at Mareel