We offer a variety of 'essential skills' classes, which have been designed to improve your self-confidence and give you the qualifications you need to progress in education or gain employment.
These courses include:
- Mathematics National 5
- New Directions: Access to Education
- Alternative to Higher English. Both modules can also be studied individually: Communication NC Level 6 and Literature 1
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT) SCQF Level 4 / 5
- Numeracy SCQF Level 4 / 5
- Communication SCQF Level 4 / 5
- Employability Skills
Select Mathematics National 4 and 5 if you are looking to improve your numeracy skills and achieve a maths qualification.
The Alternative to Higher English qualification is accepted by many employers, colleges and universities as an alternative to the traditional Higher qualification. If you didn't achieve it at school, now is your chance. The two modules of this course (Communication NC Level 6 and Literature 1) can also be studied individually.
If you are looking to improve your English, maths and computing skills and would like to try out some taster courses to help you decide on your future career, then our New Directions course is for you.
If English is your second language, our ESOL class will help you improve your skills. You can work towards qualifications that will help you meet citizenship requirements and you can borrow digital recorders to help you practise spoken English. For more information please visit the ESOL page.
Our SCQF Level 4 and 5 courses in Numeracy, Communication and ICT are a good way to develop your essential skills, and the Employability Skills course will help you get ready for work.
Our skilled tutors will support you every step of the way and these courses are available to study part time so that you can fit your studies around your personal or work commitments.
Many courses are free and this is a great way to meet new people while achieving new qualifications to add to your CV.
Contact Andrew Anderson
t: 01595 771242
Facilities at a glance
Facilities at a glance
- The college is well-equipped with computers, printers, software and other IT equipment
- Electronic whiteboards are available in all classrooms
- ESOL students can borrow digital recorders to help them practise spoken English
Good reasons to study in our Core Skills section
- Skilled and supportive tutors
- Improve your written English skills
- Study part time and fit learning around your work and family commitments
- Good way to meet people
- Achieve qualifications to help develop your career
- Many courses are free