Health and Care
Our Health and Care Section is the largest and busiest department at Shetland College UHI. Here you can study a range of courses from introductory to degree level. Courses are available in subjects including: care, early years, child and youth studies, access to apply for nursing, social work, psychology and sociology. We can also organise full-time or part-time individualised programmes for students and are happy to discuss training needs for organisations.
Why study Health and Care at Shetland College UHI?
- Excellent choice of work experience
- A valuable insight into possible future careers
- A good mix of academic and practical experience
- You can study some courses from home
- An interesting range of topics in manageable units
- A relaxed classroom atmosphere
- All lecturers are experienced practitioners within their field
- Access to Apply Nursing (and other allied medical professions)
- Access to Apply Social Work
- NC Early Education and Childcare
- NC Social Science
- HNC Social Sciences
- HNC Social Services
- HNC Childhood Practice
- SVQ Social Services and Healthcare
- SVQ Social Services: Children and Young People
- PDA Education Support Assistant
- PDA Promoting Excellence in Dementia Skilled Practice
- PDA Health and Social Care (Supervision)
- PDA in Supporting Individuals with Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- CPD Managing and Leading Care Services
- BA (Hons) Child and Youth Studies
- BA (Hons) Childhood Practice
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
- BA (Hons) Sociology and Criminology
- BA (Hons) Sociology and Theology
- BA (Hons) Sociology and Politics
- PGDE Secondary (English Medium)
- PGDE Primary (English Medium)
t: 01595 771421
- Video conferencing (VC)
- Virtual learning environment (VLE)
Where possible, staff invite visitors with industry experience to provide demonstrations or workshops with students. This has been a popular fixture of the NC Social Science course for the last couple of years, with local police officers (both retired and active) carrying out crime scene investigation workshops with students.
There are opportunities within many of the courses for work placements, which provide an insight into the day to day running of a variety of care and early education work places. Students can work alongside qualified staff to gain a real taste of their intended career.
Many students have found that the contacts they make during their work placement experience lead to employment opportunities in the future. We endeavour to provide you with skills for life, work and learning. In today’s world there is an increase in the use of technology in all walks of life. Throughout our courses we incorporate the use of appropriate technologies within the learning and teaching environments.