Professional Cookery NC
What is special about this course?
This practical cookery course is aimed at those who are looking to work / train in a professional kitchen.
Upon completion of this course you will achieve a National Certificate in Professional Cookery as well as the National Progression Award (NPA) in Professional Cookery which can be studied as a standalone course.
This course may interest:
• young people who have recently left school with N5 or practical experience
• mature adult returners who would like to upskill, return to learning and/or perhaps undertake training for employment in a professional kitchen
• those in employment in the hospitality industry looking to upskill (as a basis for building on good practice or as continuous professional development, CPD)
• and/or those with a desire to develop a specialism to work in a professional kitchen.
This course is run over 3 days in college with the opportunity to visit local hotels, restaurants, and kitchens to broaden insight to potential jobs.
While entry is at the discretion of the centre, candidates will normally be expected to have attained one of the following, or have relevant work experience:
• National Certificate in Professional Cookery at SCQF level 5
• NPA in Professional Cookery at SCQF level 6
• Intermediate 2 Hospitality Professional Cookery
• Intermediate 2 Hospitality Practical Cookery
• Intermediate 2 National Certificate in Hospitality
• SVQ Level 2 Professional Cookery
• SVQ Level 2 Professional Cookery: Food Preparation and Cooking
• Other relevant qualification
Preparation, cooking and presenting of the following;
• Meat & Poultry
• Shetland Fish & Shellfish (inc. visit to Lerwick Fish Market)
• Creative cookery
• Food Service Styles
• Food and Beverage
• Food Hygiene
• Health & Safety
• Food Product Knowledge and Costings
• Problem Solving
• Working with Others
All equipment & uniform provided
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
Practical cooking: Units will be delivered by a combination of face-to-face Kitchen teaching and practical demonstration.
Theory: Classroom delivery incudes, investigating topics, online and video. Building understanding and evidence for your portfolios.
How long will my course last?
• Full Time (1 year)
• Part Time (2 years)
Classes will be a mix of practical sessions in the training kitchen along with theory/online sessions (restrictions to practical sessions will apply in guidance with Scottish Government Guidelines).
Where can I study my course?
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
You would have the skills required to progress to a modern apprenticeship or to employment in a professional kitchen
Whilst on the course we will look to contact local employers to link you in with potential work experience, hopefully leading to employment.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Professional Cookery NC
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Shetland College UHI. Shetland College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.