Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering SCQF Level 6
What is special about this course?
Have you considered a career in Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management or Architectural Technology? There has never been a better time to be part of the construction industry. Infrastructure projects, renewable energy and regeneration of the area are creating exciting opportunities on your doorstep. Working in partnership with local Civil Engineering employers, you will gain a unique insight into the sector and help you to make a more informed decision about your future career and study options.
You should be working towards National 5 English, Maths and Physics, as well as be ready to work start studying Higher qualifications.
Applicants should be starting 5th Year.
Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering aims to give school pupils the opportunity to develop skills the enable them to progress on to a Modern Apprenticeship in one of the many career opportunities that exist in the professional supervision side of the construction industry i.e. Civil Engineer, Architectural Technician. You will study principles and practices utilised by designers and engineers working in the field of renewable energy, domestic homes, commercial buildings, environmental protection. Core Units include:
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Civil Engineering Project
- Computer Aided Drafting: An Introduction
- Construction Site Surveying: An Introduction
- Health and Safety in the Construction Industry
- Mechanics for Construction: An Introduction
- Construction Engineering Mathematics
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
Face to face, mainly classroom based for theory. Field trips to site for practical elements including surveying and project. AutoCAD delivered using latest version of software.
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
All learning materials will be supplied by college. We would ask students to provide their own protective boots for field work all other PPE will be provided.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Your Foundation Apprenticeship gives you lots of options: it’s up to you where you go next.
- A Modern Apprenticeship: On completing your Foundation Apprenticeship, you’ll have already achieved core units of the Modern Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering. You could then progress onto a Technical or Professional Apprenticeship.
- Further Education: Continue your studies at college, with an HNC or HND in an engineering related subject. Your workplace experience will support your college application.
- University: Foundation Apprenticeships are recognised as equivalent to SQA Highers by all Scottish universities. You’ll already have quality experience in the industry – this will make your UCAS stand out from the crowd.
Straight to a job: Use your qualification and work experience to find a job in civil engineering or construction.
Career opportunities in: Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management, Architectural Technology
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering SCQF Level 6
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Shetland College UHI. Shetland College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.