What is special about this course?
This course, delivered by Shetland Arts in Mareel and making full use of the venue’s production facilities, is designed to develop the knowledge required to plan, produce and evaluate a video production (examples could include music videos, short dramatic films and/or documentaries).
The course will introduce students to a wide range of skills:
- Technical - such as the operation of cameras, lights, audio recording equipment and video editing software.
- Creative - including scriptwriting, storyboarding and interpreting a project brief.
- Transferrable skills - including research techniques, creative problem solving, group work, critical thinking and project evaluation.
This course is for Secondary 3 pupils.
The course is based on the SQA Creative Industries National Progression Award and comprises 4 modules at National 4 level. The Creative Industries are one of the largest growth areas of the UK economy and job market.
1: Creative Industries Basics
- Identify a range of creative industry sectors
- Identify and describe a range of job roles and associated skills within a chosen sector
- Review own employability skills and attitude
2: Practical Skills Development
- Develop a range of practical skills
- Review your own practical skills development
- Plan a creative production
- Identify roles and associated pre-production key tasks and skills
- Carry out pre-production tasks appropriate to the agreed brief
- Contribute to a production in response to an agreed brief
- Evaluate the production against the brief
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Day release
- Vocational Pathway
How long will my course last?
This course is delivered in Mareel on alternative Fridays over 1 year, 9.00am to 3.00pm.
For Secondary 3 pupils.
Where can I study my course?
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
This course will provide you with potential employment opportunities and progression routes to further study in a range of Creative Industries courses at Further Education institutions throughout the UK, including NC Creative Industries: Video Production at Shetland College UHI.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.