Funding options

There is a wide range of funding options available, depending on the course level you want to study at.

FE courses

FE courses

Before you enrol on a course of study through Shetland College UHI, it is important that you know how it is going to be funded and have submitted your application for fees and any personal financial support you may be entitled to.

Full-time courses (SCQF Level 1-6)*

The Shetland Islands Council’s Children's Service provides bursary support to full-time further education students.

You will be expected to maintain 100% attendance of your course.

Student Funding
Education and Social Care Department,
Hayfield House,
Lerwick ZE1 0QD

tel: 01595 743844

*For an explanation of SCQF levels, please refer to SCQF course levels page.

HE courses

HE courses

Financial support for Higher Education students

Higher Education (HNC/HND/DEGREE) (SCQF Level 7-12)*

Full time higher education courses are funded through the Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). SAAS will pay tuition fees for all eligible full time students; the level of family income does not matter. All applications should be made online through the SAAS website.

Support for living costs will mainly be through a student loan, Young Student’s Bursary or Independent Students Bursary (where applicable) and will be dependent on your personal circumstances.

Part-time study (SCQF Level 7-12)*

Part-time students will normally have to pay their own fees unless they have secured other sources of funding e.g. employer, or an ILA Scotland Account.

SAAS offer an annual part-time fee grant which helps with your  tuition fees. The level of tuition fee they can pay will depend on the number of credits you do and the qualification you are studying.

The maximum fee grant SAAS can award is:

  • £1,805 for publicly funded degree level courses,
  • £1,820 for eligible 120 credit university courses which are not campus based,
  • £1,274 for publicly funded Higher National awards (HNC, HND),
  • £1,195 for all courses at private providers.

For more information see the SAAS website.

*For an explanation of SCQF levels, please refer to SCQF course levels page.

Other funding information

Other funding information

Fee waivers for part time FE study and benefits

In the following circumstances, you can apply for a “fee waiver” and if you and the course are eligible you will not have to pay the fees for part-time study:

  • Your family are in receipt of income support or working tax credit or housing benefit
  • You are in receipt of disability living allowance, severe disablement allowance or incapacity benefit
  • You have been continuously registered as a job-seeker for more than six weeks
  • The net income of your family is equivalent to or lower than the threshold for receiving income support
  • You are in receipt of Employment Support Allowance.

The form is available from Useful Information for Students.

Students receiving benefits

Some students can remain on benefits whilst studying. You should seek advice from JobCentre Plus, Department of Work and Pensions or the Citizen's Advice Bureau prior to starting your course.

For guidance and advice please contact Klaudia Grubska.

Other funding sources


A Bursary is a discretionary grant made by a college to help maintain a person in education beyond the statutory school leaving age of 16 years.

For information about eligibility for bursaries, please visit the Children's Services website.

Discretionary funds

We understand that many students struggle to cope on a very low income and so we are keen to help students who are in real need before they reach crisis point. In addition to bursaries/grants there are some additional sources of funding to which students who find themselves in financial difficulty can apply.

Applications will be assessed according to mode of study and level of income and all applicants will be required to submit supporting evidence prior to any award being made. The discretionary fund is a cash limited fund and is aimed at helping those in most need.

Further information is available in our section for students or you can contact our Guidance Coordinator on 01595 771236 to arrange a meeting to discuss.

Skills Development Scotland Individual Learning Accounts (ILAs)

ILA funding of up to £200 can help you pay for learning something new or brushing up your skills. It’s for people who have an income of £22,000 a year or less, or who are in receipt of benefits.  You must be 16 or over and living in Scotland to apply for this funding.

To request an application pack, or to find out more, visit or call the helpline on 0800 917 8000.

You must have your ILA in place before you start your course.

Application forms and guidance/advice are also available from Student Services staff within the college.

Contact: Klaudia Grubska or telephone 01595 771236 for further information

If you have further questions, there is more information on fees and funding on the UHI website.