Professional Cookery NPA
What is special about this course?
This practical cookery course provides a small flexible qualification that focusses on practical aspects of working in a professional kitchen environment, giving students a progression onto the National Certificate in Professional Cookery.
This course may interest:
- young people who have recently left school with practical experience
- mature adult returners who would like to upskill, return to learning and/or perhaps undertake training for employment in a professional kitchen
- those in employment in the hospitality industry looking to upskill (as a basis for building on good practice or as continuous professional development, CPD)
This part time course will provide students with the opportunity to visit local hotels, restaurants, and kitchens to broaden insight to potential jobs.
While entry is at the discretion of the centre, candidates will normally be expected to have attained one of the following, or have relevant work experience:
- National Certificate in Professional Cookery SCQF level 5
- National Certificate in Hospitality SCQF Level 5
- Intermediate 2 Hospitality Professional Cookery
- Intermediate 2 Hospitality Practical Cookery
- Intermediate 2 National Certificate in Hospitality
- SVQ 2 Professional Cookery
- SVQ 2 Professional Cookery: Food Preparation and Cooking
Learners will complete 4 SQA credits (24 SCQF points)
- Practical Professional Cookery
- Pastry skills
- Food Hygiene
Equipment & uniform provided.
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Day release
- Block release
Practical cooking: Units will be delivered by a combination of face-to-face kitchen teaching and practical demonstration.
Theory: Classroom delivery includes investigating topics, online and video while building understanding and evidence for your portfolio.
How long will my course last?
Classes will be a mix of practical sessions in the training kitchen along with theory/online sessions (restrictions to practical sessions will apply in guidance with Scottish Government Guidelines).Classes will be a mix of practical sessions in the training kitchen along with theory/online sessions (restrictions to practical sessions will apply in guidance with Scottish Government Guidelines).
Where can I study my course?
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
All equipment and uniforms will be provided.
What can I do on completion of my course?
You would have the skills required to progress to a modern apprenticeship or to employment in a professional kitchen.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Professional Cookery NPA
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Shetland College UHI. Shetland College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.