At UHI Shetland we understand that being able to fund your education is important. It is a key consideration when deciding to study and can be a concern for many students. 

There are a number of different funding options available, depending on the mode of study and which course you choose to study.

Additional funding may also be available, including childcare funding and discretionary funding (for students who are experiencing financial hardship).

Our Student Support team is available to discuss this, along with funding prior to coming to College and during your studies.

The Scottish Government have created Student Information Scotland. Here you will find useful further and higher education funding information. It also features a Funding Checker which allows you to work out what funding you may be eligible to receive.

Student Support staff Michele is here to help you with any funding queries you may have whether you are thinking of studying with us or are a current student. You can contact her on

Michele Kerry content Michele Kerry

Michele Kerry

Guidance Coordinator

Full-Time Study FE Level content

Full-Time Study FE Level

Full-Time Study FE Level

You may be entitled to a Shetland Islands Council (SIC) Bursary or Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).

This funding is available for students studying at Further Education level (up to but not including HNC).

The bursary can include allowances towards a students maintenance, travel and study awards.

Further information about bursaries can be found at EMA, Bursaries and Financial Support – Shetland Islands Council or speak directly to Dawn Ratter on 01595 743 844.

For further information regarding eligibility please contact Michele Kerry at

Full-Time Study HE Level content

Full-Time Study HE Level

Full-Time Study HE Level

Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) and Student Loan Funding

If you live in Scotland and choose to study full-time at a Scottish university or college, you will not have to pay tuition fees. However, you will need to apply to SAAS to have your tuition fees paid for you, as this is not automatic.

This funding is available for students studying at Higher Education level (HNC and above). The funding available can include tuition fee support, student bursary and student loan.

For further information see the SAAS website:

SAAS student funding key facts

Part-Time Study content

Part-Time Study

Part-Time Study

Studying part time at FE level

Part-time FE Funding - Fee Waiver

Students in receipt of certain benefits may be eligible to claim a fee waiver for their course fees. For further information regarding eligibility please contact Student Support at 

Studying part-time at HE level?

Part-time fee grant

The part-time fee grant is available for students 16 or over and who have an average annual gross income of £25,000 a year or less. In order to qualify you must be studying a part-time Higher Education or professional qualification course such as a Higher National Certificate (HNC), Higher National Diploma (HND) or a Degree. You must complete between 30-119 Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) credits in an academic year. Apply via Student Awards Agency Scotland - SAAS - Funding Your Future

If students need any assistance with completing the form, please contact UHI Shetland student support:

Discretionary Funds content

Discretionary Funds

Discretionary Funds

Discretionary Funds are primarily for emergency use and in cases of financial hardship. For more information about Discretionary Funds, please contact our Student Support Team at

Evidence Required

It is important to remember to provide the necessary documentary evidence, along with your application. Failure to do so will mean your application cannot be processed.

You will be required to evidence all sources of income. Examples of documentation you will be required to submit are listed below but please note this is not an exhaustive list:

  • Proof of Rent/Mortgage Costs - Mortgage Agreement, rent book, Tenancy Agreement, Council Tax statement, Housing Benefit Refusal Letter (if applicable)
  • Bank Statements - Two months' recent and consecutive bank statements for all accounts showing account holders name, account number and sort code, and your partner's if applicable.
  • Payslips - Three months' recent and consecutive payslips.
  • SAAS Letter/Student Loan Company Letter - Your SAAS and Student Loan Company Letter showing you have applied for support (Higher Education students only).

PLEASE NOTE: If possible, all evidence should be provided as a scanned or saved document. If you use online banking, you will be able to export your statement to a PDF.

To apply

Please contact our Student Support Team at

Childcare Funding content

Childcare Funding

Childcare Funding

Available to FE and HE students

Childcare funding is available to assist with the cost of childcare with registered childcare providers while you attend college classes or college placements or complete college course work remotely. This fund is means-tested. For more information about Childcare funds contact our Student Support Team at

Funding for Care Experienced Students content

Funding for Care Experienced Students

Funding for Care Experienced Students

At UHI Shetland we are committed to supporting care experience students. Care-experienced is someone who has been in care or “looked after” at any stage of their life no matter how short.

This care could be in one of in one of many different settings such as:

  • foster care
  • being looked after by your close family or friends under formal kinship care arrangements or informal care arrangements
  • looked after at home with a compulsory supervision order
  • looked after away from home with a compulsory supervision order
  • lived in residential care, secure care or a List D school, a borstal, a close support unit or a children’s home

It is important that you disclose at the point of application so that you can receive the support you’re entitled to.  Your college experience will be the same as all other students, but you will be offered some extra support to allow you to get the very best from your time here.

We can offer you tailored support including:

  • A pre-entry course which will offer you guidance and practical advice to help you settle into College.
  • Emotional support and wellbeing if you are experiencing stress or difficulty in or outside of College offered via a daily drop-in service.
  • Support on a range of welfare, financial and education issues.
  • Help through all information and procedures.
  • Someone to talk to who understands your individual situation and needs.
  • Careers advice, travel, childcare, accommodation, counselling, additional learning support if applicable.


Further Education (FE)

  • Care Experienced Bursary of £225 per week year 2023/24 for students who are Care Experienced under the terms of the relevant Acts.
  • Parental household income is disregarded when assessing the CE Bursary.
  • Funding Team can provide help and guidance with funding applications and evidence requirements if needed.
  • Reasonable adjustments to absence criteria if needed, to take into account students’ individual circumstances.
  • Discretionary and Childcare Funds available if needed.

Higher Education (HE)

  • £9,000 SAAS Care Experienced Students Bursary replaces Student Loan.
  • SAAS Care Experienced Accommodation Grant year 2023/24 of £105 per week during the summer holiday between years of course.
  • Parental household income is disregarded when SAAS assess the funding application.
  • See SAAS for more information.
  • Discretionary and Childcare Funds available if needed.
Useful UCAS Links content Training Grants for Fishermen and Seafarers content

Training Grants for Fishermen and Seafarers

Training Grants for Fishermen and Seafarers

Fishermen undertaking training at the Scalloway Campus may be able to obtain funding towards the cost of their course from a number of sources. Find out more here.

Digital Support content

Digital Support

Digital Support

UHI Shetland, along with other UHI partners, wish to support those students who have no, or limited access, to IT equipment or an internet connection, in order for them to successfully undertake their studies.

All equipment provided is on a loan basis only and must be returned at the end of the academic year, unless agreed otherwise.

Visit Digital Support to find out more.

You can contact Michele to discuss this in more detail at