The statistics section collects and collates data relevant to Shetland’s fishing and maritime industries, and the wider Scottish and UK fishing industries, from various public sources, maintains time-series of these data, carries out analyses and publishes various reports and summaries.
- Detailed analyses of fishing landings in Shetland and by Shetland fishing boats, published annually as Shetland Fisheries Statistics.
- Summaries of scientific information on the state of Scottish fish stocks and their levels of exploitation, published annually as Trends in Scottish Fish Stocks.
- Estimates of the quantities of fish landed from the UK Exclusive Economic Zone (UK EEZ) by UK and EU fishing boats and by UK fishing boats from the EU EEZ, and of the potential implications of the UK’s withdrawal from the Common Fisheries Policy for these landings.
- Summaries of statistics on Shetland’s maritime economy, published as the regularly update Shetland’s Maritime Economy.
- The data available on Shetland’s and the wider Scottish and UK fishing industries, and on Shetland’s maritime industries in general, including the maintenance of long-term time-series of relevant data. This includes both knowledge of the data themselves, and of the information that they provide.
- The scientific advice on the state of Scottish fish stocks and of trends in their abundance and levels of exploitation.
- The quantities of fish landed by UK and foreign fishing boats from the UK Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and by UK fishing boats from elsewhere, and the potential implications for those landings of the UK’s withdrawal from the Common Fisheries Policy.
- The wider Shetland maritime economy.
- The impacts of fisheries management measures on Shetland’s fishing industry.
- The history of Shetland’s fishing industry.