Facilities & Equipment
Shetland UHI, with its specialised campus facility in Scalloway, has the vessel capacity to operate in inshore waters throughout Scotland. Our survey facilities and equipment include several well equipped research laboratories and a broad range of survey and sampling equipment for survey projects. Specialist labs are dedicated for wet, environmental, chemical, and tissue processing activities. External companies can hire our facilities and equipment by arrangement, and prevail of the expertise of our staff where relevant.
We are also able to supply deployment, operation, and management services for third party owned equipment needing to be deployed in Shetland waters.
Contact us to discuss your project requirements.
- Aquaculture – Hatchery
- Laboratory – All purpose
- Laboratory – Chemical
- Laboratory – Histology
- Laboratory – Microscopy
- Laboratory – Wet
- Marine Library
- Meeting Rooms and Video Conference facilities
- Teaching Rooms, including Lecture Theatre
- Workshops – Engineering
- Workspaces, internal and external
- Inshore survey vessel the MV Moder Dy
- Fisheries research vessel MV Atlantia II
- Twin engine RHIB Langa
- Fishing gear (monitored net gear, crab and lobster creels, jig fishing, and scallop dredges)
- Multibeam (a WASSP WMB-160F hull mounted multibeam echosounder)
- Sub-Bottom Profiler (an over-the-side mounted GeoPulse GeoAcoustics pinger Sub-Bottom Profiler)
- Underwater video systems (C-Tecnics DDV system comprising of a CT3023 SLV full HD video camera with CT4015 flashgun and built in lasers for scale with two CT4004 LED lights. We also have a second camera system comprising a Micro Seacam Hi-Res digital colour camera with two mini seabeam lights fitted to a custom made A-frame)
- Grab samplers (options of Van Veen grabs or Day grab)